Detox your life part I : Detoxing your heart

   As I sat there thinking which post I should start with for this series, it dawned on me that I really did not know where to start. What was the most important thing to start with when trying to get a fresh start? At first I thought psshhh it's detoxing your surroundings of course ( your house, workplace..etc.) that would totally make sense right? It would greatly affect your mood and help you work on your self development clutter free. But I felt I was missing the point. Then I thought, well, maybe it's detoxing our body. After all, you DO need to be healthy to preform well. No, that's not it either. Finally I came to the conclusion that you should start with your social circle, I mean, what's the use of doing any progress if you are surrounded by people who constantly bring negativity to your life and bring you down? So it was resolved, I would start the week by talking about how to detox your life by cutting out negativity....
 But something just didn't feel right. I felt all those things were important, but not the most important. The following week I had a mini- existential crisis. My life was not going as I wanted it to: my GPA was dropping faster than a comet, I was so busy that my social life was suffering, I was getting rejected from all the internships I was applying for, my love life non-existent, I was binging A LOT and breaking out like crazy and my blog was not as successful as I'd hoped. Every aspect of my life was spiraling out of control. I felt overwhelmed, depressed and inferior. How could things get so dark in a matter of 2 weeks? Then I realized, things didn't  get dark in a matter of 2 weeks. It was my perspective that had changed .... And although my problems didn't get magically solved I realized that if I stayed in the mindset of " waaaah I'm a failure...waaaah I will never get anything done... waaah I'm worthless". Guess what? I WILL be a failure. I WILL never get anything done and I WILL become worthless.

So I decided that the first step that anyone should take to detoxify their life was to detoxify their heart and mind.....
Sure, it's easy enough to get caught up in the menial day-to-day problems and get overwhelmed, or blow everything way out of proportion and dramatize everything, but here's what I want to tell you:
                                                        There is always a solution




Source: http://favim.com/image/119214/

If there is a constant in life, it's change. And if we were to approach life with this mindset, we would have a lot less to worry about because we know, as the old story goes, that "this too shall pass". No matter how dark or painful your situation is, just know that it will most definitely change. The right way to deal with life's set backs is not to sit there whining and feeling sorry for yourself, it's to accept it, feel it , then move on and start working on changing your situation. A good way to illustrate my meaning is this quote from one of my personal idols, Audrey Hepburn:



"How shall I sum up my life? I think I've been particularly lucky. Does that have something to do with faith also? I know my mother always used to say, 'Good things aren't supposed to just fall in your lap. God is very generous, but he expects you to do your part first.' So you have to make that effort. But at the end of a bad time or a huge effort, I've always had - how shall I say it? - the prize at the end. My whole life shows that. "
-- Audrey Hepburn

   The above was written a year ago, and back then I didn't know what else to say, so I saved my draft and forgot about it. Today, I was tempted to rewrite the entire article but then decided against it, because I think you will clearly see the difference between the beginning and end of this post. For the past year, I took my own advice and I am glad to say I have seen obvious and incredible results. My face cleared up, I graduated with high honors and am currently working on joining a graduate program, I finally know exactly what I want and my social skills have improved. 
All this does not mean that I have no problems anymore. It simply means that I deal with them differently, and more effectively. That is why I encourage you to try out my method and start dealing with life's problems differently. You may not be able to choose what life throws at you (it's not always lemons, btw) but you can control how you react to it. It's easy to get overwhelmed, and it will happen, but a truly strong person is someone who reminds themselves that this too shall pass, and that they have the power to change their situation. All they need is to work on it. I am not trying to be preachy here, I'm only sharing my experience.
I believe that when you finally detox your heart and mind, everything else will follow, and you will drastically improve your life and increase your happiness.

To be more clear....
here are some (tried and true) things you can do to detox your heart today :

1)  Stop worrying about what you can't control, and start focusing on what you can control.
2) Stop comparing yourself to others , only compare yourself to who you were yesterday.
3) When things get tough, accept it, feel it then move on.
4) Think about what you can give instead of what you can take.
5) Do one good deed a day.
6) Call one friend a day.
7) Baby steps will help you reach your goals.
8) Stop criticizing others and love unconditionally.
9) People make mistakes, and so do you, forgive and move on.
10) Contrary to popular belief: Life is fair, people are not.
11) Learn from the past, and move on. Plan for the future, but don't live in it. You'll get there eventually, but you'll never be here and now again.

And always remember... What's meant to happen will happen (whether by the hands of God, destiny, a series of random events, statistical probabilities or whatever makes you happy..)

This is definitely one of my longer articles. I hope this was helpful and enjoyable and you didn't get bored (if you did, I apologize, but I mean well). If you try these tips please let me know how it went, and if you have any other ideas or tips let me know. I'll talk to you soon.

Love,
Rue






0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share the love and comment... Thanks for the feedback!! :D :D

 
Rock and Lace © 2012 | Designed by Rumah Dijual, in collaboration with Buy Dofollow Links! =) , Lastminutes and Ambien Side Effects